Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Things to do in Denver when you're stuck there three extra days

Or, why I don't travel at the holidays.

It started okay-the roads were passable to get to the airport despite the new snow.


The line at the counter was L-O-N-G, but with the lap infant, I couldn't do curbside check-in*. but we had plenty of time. Then the delays started. Little S and I eventually arrived in Denver, albeit a few hours after we were due in, and approaching 10:30 p.m. with a very tired baby.

Friday arrived early despite the late night. It was Aunt A's big graduation from Culinary school. So we got all gussied up and headed to the Colorado Convention Center where all of the students had to present portfolios of their wares to be evaluated and for potential employers to check out. Aunt A had a most delicious and innovative peanut butter and jelly cake along with the best cookies I've ever tasted, among other things.




Which Little S decided was boring, but not boring enough to nap without a fight. So, technically we missed the diploma handing part, but Aunt A has forgiven us.

The next morning we had a brunch with one of my High School BFF's. We hadn't seen each other or even talked in over 10 years. We heard stories of each other's lives occasionally through a third friend whose parents kept in touch, but thanks to the miracle that is Facebook, we reconnected just in time to discover she lives in Denver and to set up a time to get together. She has an adorable 18 month old who shared her toys with Little S


Had some mutual chewing time


Let herself get investigated by the baby


And gave her a big kiss good-bye IMG_3215

We don't plan to let 10 years go by without seeing each other again!

We ended the day by gnawing on our new Christmas presents IMG_3221

And, it pretty much went downhill from there.

When Little S was having tummy troubles, not sleeping well and started Sunday with a diaper running over, that pretty much painted the picture of the next few days. An overview

  • She topped that off with projectile vomiting a few hours before we were supposed to leave, and on the way to the airport. (but it didn't seem to be bothering her)
  • After spending almost an hour in line, my flight to Portland got canceled due to the awful weather back here. The next available flight was Tuesday morning.
  • I managed to get on a Sunday night flight instead with a layover in Vegas. After checking, checking, checking all day, it looked like it was a go. Get dropped off and the family hits the road to drive to WI.
  • Call them about 20 minutes later to have them turnaround and get me because now that was canceled too. Pick up my previously checked in luggage.
  • Call Southwest. Next flight they can get me on is Wednesday afternoon.
  • Book a rental car because my parents need to drive back to WI the next day. Aunt A books herself a flight so I have somewhere to stay.
  • Get rental car. Red Ford Mustang! This will be fun for two days. Look super sexy as I wrestle the car seat into the back of the two-door.
  • Keep an eye on weather. Manage to find non-stop flight on Tuesday night that I can get on. Change Aunt A's flight also.
  • Get stomach flu. Two hours later, Aunt A gets stomach flu. (After getting Little S to sleep for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you)
  • Despite what it feels like, don't actually die.
  • Pack still kind-of-sick Aunt A, questionable feeling me and happy Little S into car for airport. Lament not getting more use out of Ford Mustang.
  • At airport, discover Aunt A's flight is now 2 hours delayed and she will miss the last bus of the night to get home. Try and figure something out for her.
  • My flight gets delayed 15 minutes. No big deal. Except we're schedule to leave at 7:05 and there's a flight leaving out of the same gate at 7:00. WTF? Bad math people? Ours will board after theirs.
  • Which of course means 7:45.
  • Happily end up with an empty seat between me and the guy in the window seat.
  • Notice we aren't going anywhere.
  • They finally announce that they're holding the plane for 7 passengers who just landed and need to make a connection. Put off feeding and trying to get Little S to sleep because I know we'll have to move.
  • Wait some more.
  • 45 minutes later, the last people get on the plane and we push back. Hallelujah! I'll be home yet!
  • It's now way past bedtime and little Miss S would much rather LOOK at ALL the PEOPLE and Smile at the flight attendants who are loving on her then think about sleeping. Two hours and lots of fussiness later, she finally gives up and falls asleep.
  • Spill Sprite on Little S' head. She wiggled at the wrong moment,
  • Land. In. Portland!!!! Greeted by Big S who we are VERY happy to see.
  • Eventually get luggage and get Little S to bed at about midnight.
  • Find out this morning that it could have been worse. My sister (Aunt A's) flight ended up getting even more delayed so she didn't end up landing until 2:00 a.m. and getting home at 4:00 a.m. (thanks to a gracious stepbrother who made the trek to Chicago for her!)

And that dear readers, is why if you ever hope to see this family at the holidays, you're gonna have to come to us.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

dear god. stay put in the pdx for a while and recover!